Home | Zones | Log in | Register

Tech News Thread (AMD still destroys Intel)

amd cpus gpus intel nvidia pc building

Nobody | Reply | Create New Thread New Thread
First PageFirst | Previous PagePrev | Page 9 of /9

i actually took care of that, applying thermal paste was the first ever computer thing i ever did :D

it fixed the problem on that like a charm

Resident deity

(i was trying to find old speccy info and was too lazy to find fixed information lol)

Resident deity

You could have stuck it out for longer on that platform, especially with a Z series motherboard you could have gone up to a 3770K on that thing (4c/8t with overclocking potential)

But w/e you already ahve the new rig so enjoy it

thread head

should i have upgraded or held off

The point of the video I linked is that your system is not obsolete because some random person or group of people on the Internet tells you it is - it is obsolete when it is no longer fit for its intended purpose. So the question about when you need to upgrade is better driven by requirements rather than “something new and faster exists”.

I’m not suggesting that everyone needs to wait to upgrade until their system doesn’t meet their needs, rather that too many people I’ve talked to are convinced through marketing and fanboys that “a new generation is out” means their system that works for their needs right now (and likely to for at least another 12 months or so) is garbage and should be replaced ASAP.

You and I have talked about your hardware upgrade and one of the things that you’ve mentioned publicly about it is that the age of your system kept you from playing the games you wanted to play - it was no longer fit for purpose, so it makes sense to upgrade in that case.

Again, to reiterate, nobody should upgrade because some random fanboy on the Internet tells them too, but the flip side of that is that nobody should keep their system longer than they want to because some cranky blowhard on a message board tells them to think about if their system is still fit for purpose.

Edited by MasterOfMagic at 2020-12-21 21:52:31Dec 21 21:52
Trying too hard

You could have stuck it out for longer on that platform, especially with a Z series motherboard you could have gone up to a 3770K on that thing (4c/8t with overclocking potential)

But w/e you already ahve the new rig so enjoy it

yea im being a bit flip lol

also i kept the old one and just ran a little conan server for my buds with it so that was nice

like being able to run little dedicated servers is p sweet

Resident deity
thread head
bird on skateboard

thread head

incredible

thread head

15,360 x 1,440 resolution

thread head

thread head

thread head

i want a new phone but the s21 is lookin like a downgrade from s20 so maybe i’ll go there. need some reviews

Shark Cat

thread head

i want a new phone but the s21 is lookin like a downgrade from s20 so maybe i’ll go there. need some reviews

sorry i don’t really follow phone stuff

thread head

thread head

thread head

thread head

console gamers.gif

thread head
bird on skateboard

thread head

this is cool

thread head

thread head

I’m ready for AMD’s announcements tomorrow.

Edited by MasterOfMagic at 2021-01-11 22:06:26Jan 11 22:06
Trying too hard

thread head

image.png
lmao

thread head

thread head

thread head

thread head

Not really “news” but the new blacked out EK AIO looks pretty good

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-aio-basic-360

thread head

According to AMD and NVIDIA, there will not be an uptick in GPU availability for a few months yet. Stock levels of the GeForce RTX 30 series will remain ‘lean’ until at least May, according to NVIDIA, while AMD believes that things will improve once the impact of COVID lessens.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-and-NVIDIA-confirm-that-GPU-stock-levels-will-remain-non-existent-for-the-foreseeable-future.514957.0.html

Edited by Mister Taxi at 2021-01-14 22:23:18Jan 14 22:23
thread head

thread head

looks like coolermaster is trying the in win strategy

thread head

thread head

128 PCI-e 4.0 lanes and 8 channel memory holy sh*t

thread head

thread head

thread head

Nvidia removing the Max-Q labelling

goddamnit

thread head

thread head

RDNA 3 performance targets are 2.5X RDNA 2 (6900XT). Using MCM design

Edited by Mister Taxi at 2021-01-23 20:32:06Jan 23 20:32
thread head
thread head

thread head
Reply:
To reply to this thread, please join this community.
Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
1 person is reading this thread now.
Thread List | ↑ Top