Home | Zones | Log in | Register

The Whiners Who Earn $200,000 and Complain They’re Broke

graphs links news

Nobody | Reply | Create New Thread New Thread
Page 1 of /1

The thought that someone might be struggling to survive in NYC while making $500,000 a year is out of my ability to comprehend.

Where I live, the $192,000/yr they pay for their mortgage and co-op maintenance fee would pay for 75% of the cost of an average home if they lived in the city (meaning they could easily pay it off in two years, or get something really, really nice if they take on a mortgage). Access to the “amenities” of New York City (if you can so call them that) are a luxury, not a right, so this kind of bitching about not being able to make it on $500,000 seems ridiculous to me.

Trying too hard

not reading article in here cause theres words

thread head

The thought that someone might be struggling to survive in NYC while making $500,000 a year is out of my ability to comprehend.

Where I live, the $192,000/yr they pay for their mortgage and co-op maintenance fee would pay for 75% of the cost of an average home if they lived in the city (meaning they could easily pay it off in two years, or get something really, really nice if they take on a mortgage). Access to the “amenities” of New York City (if you can so call them that) are a luxury, not a right, so this kind of bitching about not being able to make it on $500,000 seems ridiculous to me.

If you’re on that level, you can work from home.

If you can work from home, you may as well not live in NYC.

薔薇は美しく散る

I think that there are two parts to this:

1. Some people are only paid what they are paid because they live in NYC due to cost of living arrangements with their companies, so if they moved outside of NYC then they wouldn’t be paid $500,000. That said, they would probably be paid significantly more in real money terms (aka: they’d have a higher standard of living / make a higher amount over the cost of living where they move to) if they moved elsewhere.

2. The kind of person that stays in NYC even if they could move out of NYC to work from home and be paid the same is likely the kind of person that thinks that ballet, good pizza, the opera, culture, art, and the classics don’t exist outside of NYC - they’re in the bubble. It’s as if they believe that Swan Lake, wood fire pizza ovens, Wagner, libraries, museums, and classics professors don’t exist outside of the five boroughs. They are the modern equivalent of Romans calling anybody not from Rome a barbarian.

Edited by MasterOfMagic at 2020-07-28 19:41:20Jul 28 19:41
Trying too hard

the pizza thing is real though

0x49616e

Added to the list.

I’ve been to several different “best pizza places” (both declared online and by the locals) in NYC at various price points. It’s pizza. It’s okay if you want to hate yourself for an hour after eating it. Same as it is in Chicago, LA, Tokyo, Dallas, Memphis, Miami, and Portland.

The best pizza I ever had in NYC was $5 for a slice and a bottle of Coke, and it was just around the block (literally, out the front entrance, take a right, take a right at the end of the block, and walk down the block, not even across a street) from the hotel I was staying at, and to be honest, a frozen Jack’s Pizza on my Pizzazz is better.

Edited by MasterOfMagic at 2020-07-28 19:51:15Jul 28 19:51
Trying too hard

you don’t get it

0x49616e

you don’t get it

CloudyEquatorialAvians-size_restricted.gif

Trying too hard

it’s all about the bagels anyway.
you can’t get a good bagel anywhere but ny/nj

0x49616e

damn I think OK Boomer girl and I have the same shirt, except mine isn’t cut up like hers is.

it’s all about the bagels anyway.
you can’t get a good bagel anywhere but ny/nj

Imagine being so in the bubble that you think junk food and breakfast pastries are worth over $150,000 to live in NYC if you have an out. (Not accusing you of feeling that way, but I’m sure there’s at least some overlap between your feelings on this and people who make half a million dollars and are paying hundreds of thousands to stay in the city when they could just not)

Must be a nice existence. Given the option I’d always take the fat bank account, frozen Jack’s pizza, and the shitty bagels.

Edited by MasterOfMagic at 2020-07-28 21:09:25Jul 28 21:09
Trying too hard

i moved to jersey city actually, much cheaper than manhattan, but 2 subway stops to WTC

0x49616e

I took the train in from Newark the first time I visited NYC and it was probably the most depressing train ride I’ve ever taken.

Also, I thought the description of the smell of urine in train stations was hyperbole or a media narrative, but nope. Can confirm that’s a real thing.

Edited by MasterOfMagic at 2020-07-28 22:06:09Jul 28 22:06
Trying too hard

please tell me more of your trip to the nyc metro area

0x49616e

tbqh there’s not much that I could say that hasn’t already been said, and more eloquently and fairly by many other, smarter people. I fall into the set of people that just doesn’t get why people love NYC so much despite having visited about ten times over the years for different things.

Yes, it’s a unique and special thing. Like every other city. Austin, Bangalore, Berlin, Boulder, Chicago, Clearwater, Dallas, Detroit, Denver, Florence, Madison, Milwaukee, Miami, Mumbai, Munich, Oakland, Orlando, Paris (another overrated city), SF, Shanghai, Tampa, and Tokyo are all unique and special places I’ve visited or want to visit. I don’t get why NYC is considered the most special of specials by the people that do so.

Maybe I’m just an idiot. Scratch that. I’m definitely an idiot.

Edited by MasterOfMagic at 2020-07-28 22:12:31Jul 28 22:12
Trying too hard

you might be projecting a little, and i dont mean to offend you.
its just a place, all i said was that it has good pizza and bagels, you filled in the rest.

0x49616e

Definitely fair. I may be projecting. Sorry. I’m trying to take some time away from some not great things that have happened in the last few days and it’s likely that I’m not in the right headspace to not be a complete dickhead at the moment.

Thank you for pointing it out. I’ll take that to heart and maybe step away for awhile. Hope all is well with you where you are.

Trying too hard

its cool. jacks pizza owns btw

0x49616e

denver isnt unique or special

Resident deity

Added to the list.

I’ve been to several different “best pizza places” (both declared online and by the locals) in NYC at various price points. It’s pizza. It’s okay if you want to hate yourself for an hour after eating it. Same as it is in Chicago, LA, Tokyo, Dallas, Memphis, Miami, and Portland.

The best pizza I ever had in NYC was $5 for a slice and a bottle of Coke, and it was just around the block (literally, out the front entrance, take a right, take a right at the end of the block, and walk down the block, not even across a street) from the hotel I was staying at, and to be honest, a frozen Jack’s Pizza on my Pizzazz is better.

not really true boston has absolute shit pizza

thread head

denver isnt unique or special

I think the weird shit in the Denver airport is pretty unique.

Trying too hard

I’ve been to NYC and I gotta agree with sqlbro, there’s something unique about the pizza there

I didn’t spend more than like $5 a slice but it’s different in an indescribable way

There are some chefs who think it has something to do with the water, most ‘New York Style’ export places aren’t quite the same, but there’s one guy who has the water shipped in and cooks them with that and apparently new yorkers all still dig it

Kind of weird

If I had a billion dollars I’d probably break off a couple hundred thousand and do a double blind experiment between pizza from New York City and pizza from ingredients not from New York City but made the same way and see if people can really tell the difference.

Some grad students get funding, all the pizza they can eat, and all the coffee they can drink, so I’m sure I’ll have a queue of grad students interested in the topic lining up to help.

Edited by MasterOfMagic at 2020-07-30 14:41:40Jul 30 14:41
Trying too hard
Reply:
To reply to this thread, please join this community.
Pages: 1
1 person is reading this thread now.
Thread List | ↑ Top