Home | Zones | Log in | Register

Watching nerds get angry about launch day video card supply never gets old

cranks nerds nvidia xmfd

Nobody | Reply | Create New Thread New Thread
Page 1 of /1

People losing their shit about not being able to get an RTX 3080 on launch day are both puzzling and amusing.

What did they think was going to happen with no pre-order and high demand? I’ve seen cards go on eBay for $1200, which is a pretty good crank.

Trying too hard

Bigger crank is AIB partners getting $50 cash back from Nvidia for sales in the first month, so by the time there’s plentiful stock the price on these “$700” cards will prob be more like $800

XMFD

thread head

also puzzling is how the biggest gains vs previous generations comes at 4K, meanwhile they reduced the VRAM to 10GB from the previous flagship?

thinking emoji

thread head

also puzzling is how the biggest gains vs previous generations comes at 4K, meanwhile they reduced the VRAM to 10GB from the previous flagship?

Two points:

First, while the 3080 is the current flagship, its real price competition was the 2080 Super, and it has more RAM and performance there. You see this in the Gamers Nexus review where to replicate nVidia’s performance gain numbers they had to turn textures down to Ultra. I think this speaks loudly to nVidia’s intent here.

Second, my understanding is that the main limiting factor for GPU memory at 4K is bandwidth, not storage. Couple this with the 2080 Super only having 8 GB of VRAM and it’s not a problem (yet) at 4K.

$700-$800 is still ludicrous for a video card just for gaming. Affordable 4K@60 for the average PC gamer (low mid-tier, around $350) is probably a generation or two away.

Edited by MasterOfMagic at 2020-09-17 15:26:212020-09-17 15:26
Trying too hard

Considering you’d need to buy a 4K 120Hz monitor to take advantage (which will then double your “investment”) yeah

$700-$800 is still ludicrous for a video card just for gaming. Affordable 4K@60 for the average PC gamer (low mid-tier, around $350) is probably a generation or two away.

thread head

It’s a decent price if you have other GPU accelerated workloads that you can make some money on.

It’s not even better for streamers because it’s using the same NVenc implementation.

(Who are we kidding? It’s better for some streamers who have a new thing to shill to their audience and get a commission for every purchase with their promo code.)

Edited by MasterOfMagic at 2020-09-17 15:30:482020-09-17 15:30
Trying too hard

I bought a 2080Ti about a year ago and I have literally never used it. Not even for basic things like the OS GUI, the computer its on is headless.

Nvidia, Wow 🙀 where do I 👁 begin 🔘? First 👆 off 📴, I’ve ℹ👁 been a consumer 😋 of your 👉 products 😂🤔🍏 for almost 💸 6 🕕 years 🎉📅 now (got 🍸 my first 🥇 NVIDIA t-shirt 👕 on 🔛 10/26/2014) and could have easily ✅ seen 👀🤔 myself being a consumer 👅 for the next ⏭ 9 💯 years 📅. Long 😜🍆 story 📚 short 👖, I 👁 am INCREDIBLY 💩 disappointed 😞 with your 👉 service 📣 today 📅. So much 💯😂🔥 so that I 👁 started 💢 a change.org petition 📃📝 to add ➕ CAPTCHA to your 👉🏻 site 💗💻😘 store 🏪. The undue burden 💪 you 👈 have caused 😲 to not only myself, but 🍑 so many 🔢🔠 of your 👉 fans 🏃🏾‍♂️🏃🏽‍♀️🏃🏼‍♀️ today 📅 will most likely 🤷‍♀️ leave 🍂 irreparable physical 👊 and mental 🤯 health 🚑 instability within 👌🅰 many 👬 of us 🇺🇸 for the foreseeable future 📡. A class-action ⏩ lawsuit 👷🏿 is not out of the realm 😈 of possibility 🤔, and that isn’t a threat 🔪🤬, but 🍑 I 👁 want 😋 you 👈 to think 🤔❓ about 💦 that, reflect 🔎👁 on 🔛 that, and reform 🚧. Something 😅 needs 👉 to change 📈, and we’re gonna 👉 change 🚼 it. We won’t 🙅🚫 ever 😠 let 👫🏼 you 👈🏽 do something 😅 like 💖 this to us 👨 ever 📆 again 😬. AMD would never 🙅 do this. Best 🥇🏆 Regards 🤔❤, A once-loyal NVIDIA team 🐒 member 🍇.

thread head

AMD would never 🙅 do this.

Apparently someone has never been involved in a Ryzen launch.

Trying too hard

Nothing is more peak American than being depressed that you couldn’t give a company $800 in the middle of a pandemic for a device you don’t need and will bitch endlessly about for several months until the drivers work correctly.

Edited by MasterOfMagic at 2020-09-17 23:28:592020-09-17 23:28
Trying too hard

Actually, there is one thing: putting the $800 toy on a credit card and making the minimum monthly payments over the course of 7 years at 22% so you pay twice the amount and are still paying long after you’ve built a new rig.

Trying too hard

I think I’ll be fine with my 5700XT for a while

thread head

How are the drivers on that for you? I had constant black and blue screens during games with a 5600 XT.

Trying too hard

im curious to see whether ray tracing will remain a meme or continue to become more powerful

bird on skateboard

I think real time ray tracing/fully path traced games will be a meme in PC gaming until there is an affordable (sub $250) board that can do 1080p@60fps on reasonable settings.

I haven’t kept up with the consoles, but inclusion of real time raytracing in the Xbox of Sex or Piss 5 might accelerate this on the PC front.

For example: I have an RTX 2060 KO and the Quake 2 RTX demo plays significantly below 60 FPS at 1080p.

Edited by MasterOfMagic at 2020-09-18 14:14:502020-09-18 14:14
Trying too hard

My only issue with my 5700xt was VRAM refusing to downclock when I had two displays of different resolutions

thread head

GN Steve hits the nail on the head

thread head

But what does Snowflake have to say about the matter? That’s why I watch GN: toxoplasmosis

Edited by MasterOfMagic at 2020-09-18 21:21:322020-09-18 21:21
Trying too hard

My only issue with my 5700xt was VRAM refusing to downclock when I had two displays of different resolutions

I had nothing but problems with my 5600xt that I bought around launch - mainly blackscreens in games (Civ VI, Doom 2016, RDR 2), driver issues (losing keybindings on the special features and making Ctrl control them all, which made crouching in FPSes a painful experience), and thermal throttling issues.

The weird part was that the card was stable in several 48 hour long Superposition and 4 hour Furmark runs but would shit the bed in games, so that ruled out power supply and OS issues. 24 hour run of Memtest86 ruled out memory issues.

RMA’d the card - same issues. Did a clean install of Windows on another disk - same issues.

The previous GTX 970 and replacement RTX 2060 KO have had no issues in the rig.

Edited by MasterOfMagic at 2020-09-19 15:46:492020-09-19 15:46
Trying too hard

i figure that if ray tracing is really going to make dramatic leaps then its best to hold off until the next couple generations (i have a 2080S)
mostly just trying to convince myself im not dumb for buying right before the new ones dropped :>

bird on skateboard

IMG_20200919_120350.jpg

thread head

interesting to see the very narrow difference between PCIe g3 vs g4 but also interesting to see the slim margin by which intel is beating AMD in gaming right now

Curious to see what Zen3 will bring

thread head

image.png

top graph is 10700K @ 5.1GHz, bottom two are comparing PCIe3 vs 4 on a 3900XT @ 4.5GHz SMT off

thread head

i figure that if ray tracing is really going to make dramatic leaps then its best to hold off until the next couple generations (i have a 2080S)

I think that depends on the next gen console hardware. I don’t know anything about what raytracing/pathtracing support AMD has in their cards, so I can’t really comment on it. If the next gen consoles aren’t providing much support for that then I think that the PC space is where you’ll see the most progress.

mostly just trying to convince myself im not dumb for buying right before the new ones dropped :>

It’s never dumb to buy available hardware if you need it. How close to the announcement/launch did you buy?

Edited by MasterOfMagic at 2020-09-19 19:19:262020-09-19 19:19
Trying too hard

RDNA2 cards will have hardware real-time raytracing

thread head

bought my stuff early may, right before the newest intel processors came out
it was right after japan announced they’d be giving away stimulus money. i figured the PC market would go crazy after people got their cash, so i wanted to get my order in before

i’m glad i didn’t splurge on a 2080Ti though i guess

bird on skateboard

also in a weird way im glad 4k is a thing,and is the new normal for highend parts
i dont have a 4k monitor so its like getting a free boost xD

bird on skateboard

RDNA2 cards will have hardware real-time raytracing

It’ll be interesting to see how they perform.

Trying too hard

It was interesting to see how they performed compared to nVidia

Trying too hard

Bump for 3060 launch and upcoming RX 6700 launch

Trying too hard

Lanch window reminder, gamers

Trying too hard

image.png

thread head

I hate the “uwu we’re so sowwy ;.;” tone of those emails

Edited by MasterOfMagic at 2021-03-19 14:53:022021-03-19 14:53
Trying too hard

My 5700xt still plagued by (windows) drivers when it comes to anything a japanese dev looked at sideways. Ground textures in battle are still black for me in Tales of Vesperia, for instance.

Finely Aged Username

image.png

thread head

Over double MSRP for used/open box cards, even more for brand new.

Screenshot_2021-03-25 rtx 2060 ko ultra gaming eBay.png

I remember feeling buyer’s remorse when I bought my RTX 2060 KO Ultra Gaming in February 2020 at MSRP for $320. I have never felt more of the opposite of buyers remorse than I do now.

Edited by MasterOfMagic at 2021-03-26 02:39:512021-03-26 02:39
Trying too hard

image.png

thread head

Everyone excited for nerd tears on Thursday?!

In case it’s not clear - not everyone that wants a new card is a “nerd”. If you’re chasing it to scalp it, mine, or are acting entitled to a card you’re a nerd. If you’re trying to get an upgrade for an aging card or get a new card to finish a build then you’re not a nerd.

Edited by MasterOfMagic at 2021-06-01 13:33:262021-06-01 13:33
Trying too hard

image.png

I really hope I can manage to trade down to 3080/3070/3060tis or else i’ll probably just sell this thing its ridiculous and I can’t even excuse putting it into a build. Who wants to buy a 4,000+ computer from a guy on facebook

thread head

image.png

I really hope I can manage to trade down to 3080/3070/3060tis or else i’ll probably just sell this thing its ridiculous and I can’t even excuse putting it into a build. Who wants to buy a 4,000+ computer from a guy on facebook

Best of luck!

If I hadn’t just built a new rig and upgraded an older one then a $4000 computer with top end parts that I didn’t have to chase in this market would be very valuable to me.

Trying too hard

Happy RX 6600 XT day you salty fucking nerds.

Edited by MasterOfMagic at 2021-08-11 16:04:122021-08-11 16:04
Trying too hard

can u be my friend

Resident deity

how many people do you think panic bought a 3090 when they saw one available before realizing their case was too small for the big boy

image.png

what the fuck

Reply:
To reply to this thread, please join this community.
Pages: 1
1 person is reading this thread now.
Thread List | ↑ Top