Home | Zones | Log in | Register

What's your friend threshold?

friends lue thresholds

Nobody | Reply | Create New Thread New Thread
Page 1 of /1

There’s a point where someone you know moves from the ‘acquaintance’ bucket to the ‘friend’ bucket. What’s that point for you, and what are some things that you would do for friends that you wouldn’t do for an acquaintance?

I have a pretty high bar before I call someone a friend. I always aim to be friendly, but I feel like I can only call someone a friend when I can trust them to keep what I say to them in confidence (relatively so, I wouldn’t be too upset if they told an SO, for example), to keep their word when they say they’ll do something, and when I feel we have some common interests.

I would practically give the shirt off my back to my friends if they needed it. I would be happy to help an acquaintance or a stranger, but I’m willing to take a short-term (or medium-term) loss helping my friends whereas I’m much less inclined to do so for an acquaintance.

Trying too hard

you know as an alcoholic and heroin addict, for the longest time i had an incredibly skewed sense of what it meant to be a friend and what a friend really could be

most of those relationships were unhealthy and based on selfishness and self-seeking from one or both parties

today i have quite a few acquaintances and a contact list filled with people that genuinely care about me and would answer my calls at any time (all AA people admittedly)

that being said, i really only have probably 3 people that i consider true (best) friends, people that know everything about me and i could tell literally anything to and i 100% trust them. i would do anything for them and i know they would do anything for me, i’m closer with them than my own family and if i were ever in any serious trouble i would be calling them first

that’s really important to me today and i don’t have the need for validation anymore by having tons of friends or tons of people that like me

i’m a pretty private person generally and i don’t really care too much to make new friends because A.) i hate most people and B.) i feel my energy is better spent on my current relationships and i guess C.) i’m totally fulfilled by my current relationships and I think they set the standard pretty high for me

idk if any of that is right or makes sense but this topic made me feel really grateful and blessed so thanks

friend

when I have them over to my place to game

Is there a “go to” game you have for that, and if so, what is it?

Trying too hard

i don’t know, it’s a hard question. i’m not sure i delineate between acquaintance vs friend all that starkly tbh. and i think people also shift between the two quite fluidly depending on how much i’m interacting with them.

madden 95

good Q
i guess it would be something like, whether i felt like i was comfortable telling them about some of my weirder hobbies like wearing frilly dresses and making internet forums
hmm 🤔

bird on skateboard

madden 95

Pretty good game. I’d play that game with a friend.

Trying too hard

good Q
i guess it would be something like, whether i felt like i was comfortable telling them about some of my weirder hobbies like wearing frilly dresses and making internet forums
hmm 🤔

first one is ok, if I ever heard anyone mention the second I would run as fast as possible

yolo
Reply:
To reply to this thread, please join this community.
Pages: 1
1 person is reading this thread now.
Thread List | ↑ Top