Home | Zones | Log in | Register

threadzone vintage a/v thread

cassette tapes dvd excellent ideas laserdiscs lue videotape vinyl

Nobody | Reply | Create New Thread New Thread
Page 1 of /2 | Last PageLast

I bought a Laserdisc player

it is a double sided player that can play dvds and can output via component

it will however not reach me for a few months, and then I’ll still have to buy a voltage converter to run it on a us voltage

edit: this is a general a/v topic, come here to sperg out about your old audio and video equivalent, tube TVs, amps, vintage crap welcome!

❧ Edited by TimeLady Victorious at 2021-06-05 10:41:53Jun 5 10:41
θ–”θ–‡γ―ηΎŽγ—γζ•£γ‚‹
From: ⁂ | Posted: 2021-05-14 16:50:11May 14 16:50 | Filter

one of us

bird on skateboard
From: βœ“ | Posted: 2021-05-15 00:53:50May 15 00:53 | Filter

sick

Love my some LDs.

Trying too hard

Blah, I guess it doesn’t output thru component, at least not for LDs. I have a shitty TV anyway.

Also, this is going to take a few months to get to me.

Capture.PNG
i-img1200x807-1620377325phmsvn27815.jpg
i-img1200x900-1620377326bfrspc12148.jpg

I guess in a year or so I’ll able to finally afford a W-VHS player. I literally have a couple W-VHS tapes, but I need the player to capture any HiVision content, if my capture card can even process 1035i content.

A HiVision LD player is completely beyond my financial capability. There’s one that keeps being listed on eBay for $3k, but I’d need a decoder… or maybe just hook it up thru a W-VHS deck. I still need a voltage converter *cries

❧ Edited by TimeLady Victorious at 2021-05-18 12:27:54May 18 12:27
θ–”θ–‡γ―ηΎŽγ—γζ•£γ‚‹
From: ⁂ | Posted: 2021-05-18 15:08:12May 18 15:08 | Filter

i have a really similar one, probably older? it’s a Pioneer CLD-R7
i’m pretty sure i’m using component output, i can show u my cable situation if you want

❧ Edited by Tiko at 2021-05-18 15:08:44May 18 15:08
bird on skateboard

i have a really similar one, probably older? it’s a Pioneer CLD-R7
i’m pretty sure i’m using component output, i can show u my cable situation if you want

If it accepts component output from when it’s in LD mode then yes I would be interested

LD fora seem to tell me a bunch of conflicting things, some of which might be due to trying to run NTSC machines on PAL displays. All LD players with S-Video output will run via S-Video, no problem, but I haven’t had an S-Video display since I had to dump out my CRT a few years ago.

θ–”θ–‡γ―ηΎŽγ—γζ•£γ‚‹
From: ⁂ | Posted: 2021-05-18 23:14:43May 18 23:14 | Filter

36FED243-731D-4A32-8E13-ED4499873DAD.jpeg

very dusty but LD playback works fine

bird on skateboard
From: ⁂ | Posted: 2021-05-18 23:17:21May 18 23:17 | Filter

i believe that corresponds to these

ldplaya.jpg

idk i just plugged shit in until it works

bird on skateboard

36FED243-731D-4A32-8E13-ED4499873DAD.jpeg

very dusty but LD playback works fine

i believe that corresponds to these

ldplaya.jpg

idk i just plugged shit in until it works

OK, that’s composite, not component. The pictures however are informative, thank you.

θ–”θ–‡γ―ηΎŽγ—γζ•£γ‚‹
From: ⁂ | Posted: 2021-05-19 11:35:50May 19 11:35 | Filter

lol im dumb my b

bird on skateboard
From: ⁂ | Posted: 2021-05-19 11:42:22May 19 11:42 | Filter

btw i think this is the same problem
https://detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa/question_detail/q10151069480
the answer guy basically says the component exists solely for DVDs and theres lots of technobabble about Y/C

bird on skateboard

the answer guy basically says the component exists solely for DVDs and theres lots of technobabble about Y/C

My moon isn’t good enough for this x_X

If it’s anything like the other stuff I’ve read, it does output via S-Video, and I presume S-Video to component or (barf) HDMI transcoders exist. I actually used to have an S-Video to composite transcoder that I used to output my laptop to a CRT, but I don’t think I still have it.

edit:

1. Yahoo Answers is still up in Nihon?

2. This forum thread explains that composite is what you should be watching your LDs in https://www.avsforum.com/threads/best-s-video-from-laserdisc-to-component-solution.1958753/ No idea if it also applies to HiVision, if by some miracle you have a MUSE LD player

❧ Edited by TimeLady Victorious at 2021-05-19 11:56:54May 19 11:56
θ–”θ–‡γ―ηΎŽγ—γζ•£γ‚‹

thats a p hot player

i found a much older pioneer thrifting but i couldnt get it functional unfortunately

still on the hunt

The OJ wayβ„’

thats a p hot player

i found a much older pioneer thrifting but i couldnt get it functional unfortunately

still on the hunt

last time I thrifted one it ate my widescreen copy of back to the future 2 and emitted magic smoke

may as well just buy a guaranteed to function player nihon-kara, you’ll likely need a voltage converter and pay like $100 in shipping but it could be worth it

caveat: if you live in 60 hz territory you may not need a voltage converter, but north american voltage is like 20 volts more than nihon so I don’t want to risk anything before I plug it in

if you live in any place that isn’t japan or north america, you absolutely DO need a voltage converter else you’ll blow it the fuck up

θ–”θ–‡γ―ηΎŽγ—γζ•£γ‚‹
From: βœ“ | Posted: 2021-05-19 16:01:35May 19 16:01 | Filter

ah the magic smoke. many fond memories of those little puffs from my circuits class.

thats a p hot player

still on the hunt

last time I thrifted one it ate my widescreen copy of back to the future 2 and emitted magic smoke

may as well just buy a guaranteed to function player nihon-kara, you’ll likely need a voltage converter and pay like $100 in shipping but it could be worth it

caveat: if you live in 60 hz territory you may not need a voltage converter, but north american voltage is like 20 volts more than nihon so I don’t want to risk anything before I plug it in

if you live in any place that isn’t japan or north america, you absolutely DO need a voltage converter else you’ll blow it the fuck up

i only have a handful of anime LDs at the moment so im not really in any huge hurry to have a working one since the majority of them i have on other formats

i did find a nice fully functional Super VHS around this time last year though with its remote and everything for 5 buckos. a JVC that i cant remember the model number of off the top of my head.

ive searched pretty hard at thrifts and flea markets for a prerecorded S-VHS tape but i havent come up with any yet. the S-VHS blanks ive found do make a pretty good recording though

and yeah i live in NA

The OJ wayβ„’

thats a p hot player

still on the hunt

i only have a handful of anime LDs at the moment so im not really in any huge hurry to have a working one since the majority of them i have on other formats

i did find a nice fully functional Super VHS around this time last year though with its remote and everything for 5 buckos. a JVC that i cant remember the model number of off the top of my head.

ive searched pretty hard at thrifts and flea markets for a prerecorded S-VHS tape but i havent come up with any yet. the S-VHS blanks ive found do make a pretty good recording though

and yeah i live in NA

yeah if you’re going to just import them from Yahoo Auctions you could get a LOT, people just put up big lots of SVHS for 1000 yen or less (this is before you factor in shipping to the USA)

I use Zenmarket as a proxy service, they offer surface shipping (slow boat), UPS or FedEx air (expensive)

I have several hundred videotapes that are due to arrive in the next few months, I don’t know what content they have … and I’m going to have to get a voltage converter to use the DVHS VCR I bought, blah (the VCR came witha big lot of prerecorded tapes, I’m not going to pass that up)

θ–”θ–‡γ―ηΎŽγ—γζ•£γ‚‹
From: ⁂ | Posted: 2021-05-21 04:00:46May 21 04:00 | Filter

My moon isn’t good enough for this x_X

If it’s anything like the other stuff I’ve read, it does output via S-Video, and I presume S-Video to component or (barf) HDMI transcoders exist. I actually used to have an S-Video to composite transcoder that I used to output my laptop to a CRT, but I don’t think I still have it.

edit:

1. Yahoo Answers is still up in Nihon?

2. This forum thread explains that composite is what you should be watching your LDs in https://www.avsforum.com/threads/best-s-video-from-laserdisc-to-component-solution.1958753/ No idea if it also applies to HiVision, if by some miracle you have a MUSE LD player

the tl;dr is that laserdisc is natively composite and most (all?) players don’t have a composite -> component converter in them, and even if they did it’d look worse

bird on skateboard
From: ⁂ | Posted: 2021-05-21 04:01:11May 21 04:01 | Filter

and yeah yahoo answers is still kicking lol

bird on skateboard

whats the point of owning one of these

yolo

for some reason i thought you owned one already

Resident deity

whats the point of owning one of these

because they’re neat

for some reason i thought you owned one already

I have LDs, not a player.

θ–”θ–‡γ―ηΎŽγ—γζ•£γ‚‹

ah

guess i just assumed it came with the territory lol

Resident deity
From: ⁂ | Posted: 2021-05-25 10:02:58May 25 10:02 | Filter

there’s just something fun about shoving a comically large CD into a big chunky player and getting that warm retro but better than VHS picture quality

bird on skateboard

there’s just something fun about shoving a comically large CD into a big chunky player and getting that warm retro but better than VHS picture quality

Big chunky player that makes big chunky sound to make sure you know it’s playing it!

θ–”θ–‡γ―ηΎŽγ—γζ•£γ‚‹

Did you get one of the fancy ones that plays both sides or do you have to flip the disc yourself?

Trying too hard

Did you get one of the fancy ones that plays both sides or do you have to flip the disc yourself?

Yes! It plays both sides according to the auction listing. DVDs too.

However I still have to get up to change discs.

❧ Edited by TimeLady Victorious at 2021-05-27 16:32:32May 27 16:32
θ–”θ–‡γ―ηΎŽγ—γζ•£γ‚‹

timemom: I want to see the Japanese dub of Bewitched
me: ok
i-img1200x1200-1614319895votlq993380[1].jpg

(I’m guessing it has the JP dub on it?)

θ–”θ–‡γ―ηΎŽγ—γζ•£γ‚‹
From: ⁂ | Posted: 2021-05-26 21:23:12May 26 21:23 | Filter

nice
it has the dub and english (says it in the bottom in white)

bird on skateboard

Since we were discussing it earlier, here’s the best two introductions to how analog video is transmitted - first black and white and then consumer color video standards:

Trying too hard

nice
it has the dub and english (says it in the bottom in white)

Excellent. I can barely read kana, and I can’t read it that small :

Probably won’t have English subtitles but my mother has watched every episode of Bewitched over and over again since she was a child in the 60s. She just really likes Elizabeth Montgomery.

Since we were discussing it earlier, here’s the best two introductions to how analog video is transmitted - first black and white and then consumer color video standards:

https://youtu.be/Ymt47wXUDEU

https://youtu.be/3evgy0N8Sic

And keep in mind that Japan used a slightly different variant of NTSC than in North America. I think the main difference is that Japanese TV would look brighter on a North American color television, as well as a different channel ordering scheme. Luma/chroma has come up when I was researching Commodore monitors and why they’re so sought after, but I forget exactly why I was looking it up.

❧ Edited by TimeLady Victorious at 2021-06-02 03:53:50Jun 2 03:53
θ–”θ–‡γ―ηΎŽγ—γζ•£γ‚‹

So I may as well make this a general A/V thread.

The same day (today!) a DVHS deck arrived I found a CRT TV on the curb. No composite in. So I bought a RF modulator box for it and it should be here in 2 days. I’m probably going to use it for old vidya, the VCR, and, when it arrives, the LD player. Might use it for relatively new vidya too since I have a PS3.I didn’t buy an ATSC converter box but if I find one that can verifiably do composite or component in with RF out, sometime in the future.

Thoughts?

❧ Edited by TimeLady Victorious at 2021-06-02 03:53:12Jun 2 03:53
θ–”θ–‡γ―ηΎŽγ—γζ•£γ‚‹

My DVHS deck actually does work, but it’s outputting B&W video. I don’t know if it’s my shitty composite cables, my shitty HDTV, or the fact that it’s expecting to output in NTSC-J and the TV is expecting NTSC-M. Will update when I can fuck around with my CRT and the converter box I got for it.

All the menus are in Japanese and I can only read simple kana so I don’t know if I’m supposed to be able to output to 480p instead of 480i *cries

θ–”θ–‡γ―ηΎŽγ—γζ•£γ‚‹

What DVHS deck did you get?

Trying too hard

What DVHS deck did you get?

HITACHI DT-DR1

Came with manual, box, and remote, I threw away the box. The manual is completely in Japanese. Composite and S Video output only, no RF output. There is a distinct possibility it is outputting at 50 hz.

edit: -_- I had my TV on component not a/v. Damned if Batman Returns in black and white isn’t kino.

❧ Edited by TimeLady Victorious at 2021-06-02 23:40:50Jun 2 23:40
θ–”θ–‡γ―ηΎŽγ—γζ•£γ‚‹

Silver screen Batman returns sounds like it owns actually

The OJ wayβ„’

Silver screen Batman returns sounds like it owns actually

If you have a TV with combined composite/component ports:

Connect the composite cables and tune your display to β€œcomponent.” That did it for me. Alternatively play a UK version of the tape in a VCR, I’ve had that effect while running certain software on my Dreamcast so I guess it’d do it? edit: Or play it on a black and white TV, lol

I’ve been watching nature documentaries someone recorded off NHK BS. It’s comfy.

❧ Edited by TimeLady Victorious at 2021-06-03 15:57:15Jun 3 15:57
θ–”θ–‡γ―ηΎŽγ—γζ•£γ‚‹

CRT works. I will probably get, or rather, buy again, a SEGA Saturn RF unit and a PS2 RF unit instead of using regular demodulators. I find Dreamcast VGA works really well on my HDTV, and I don’t imagine using PS3 thru RF that much, except for playing PS1 games, except for MGS where you really need stereo. I’ll probably end up putting my Wii next to it. I prefer playing games on a tube set even tho I have a big stupid crappy HDTV I mostly use as a second monitor.

334f67ec121bcc02[1].jpeg

Once I haul my Wii back in I might use it as a catch-all retro monitor. I want to see how Commander Keen looks on this thing.

❧ Edited by TimeLady Victorious at 2021-06-03 18:56:14Jun 3 18:56
θ–”θ–‡γ―ηΎŽγ—γζ•£γ‚‹

commander keen is the bee’s knees

Resident deity

can i talk about audio shit here or is this a video centric thread

thread head
From: ⁂ | Posted: 2021-06-04 06:15:00Jun 4 06:15 | Filter

grabbed a widescreen LD of Brazil for 10bux
gr8 movie

bird on skateboard

Go ahead dood. I have a crappy turntable, a LOT of radios, and that’s it. I want to get a decent tape player. Timemom wants to buy me a reel to reel player, which is one thing MCX has put his foot down and said NO to me about. 8 tracks suck, btw.

θ–”θ–‡γ―ηΎŽγ—γζ•£γ‚‹

image.png

Picked up this set of sony stuff from fb marketplace for $160 all in.

Tuner doesn’t work but I think its due to the fact that one of the pins on the proprietary ribbon cable is broken. All the components connect via these cables for power. Turntable works though and speakers sound good enough (I’m no audiophile)

image.png

❧ Edited by Mister Choi at 2021-06-04 13:22:33Jun 4 13:22
thread head

Go ahead dood. I have a crappy turntable, a LOT of radios, and that’s it. I want to get a decent tape player. Timemom wants to buy me a reel to reel player, which is one thing MCX has put his foot down and said NO to me about. 8 tracks suck, btw.

you are literally my dad lmfao

Resident deity

image.png

Picked up this set of sony stuff from fb marketplace for $160 all in.

Tuner doesn’t work but I think its due to the fact that one of the pins on the proprietary ribbon cable is broken. All the components connect via these cables for power. Turntable works though and speakers sound good enough (I’m no audiophile)

image.png

My setup is not at all as nice as that. I have 2 bookshelf speakers and that’s about it. The speakers are pretty good, not audiophile good but surface good.

you are literally my dad lmfao

What’s that sonny? Do you want grandma to give you a candy from her purse?

θ–”θ–‡γ―ηΎŽγ—γζ•£γ‚‹

I’m considering this home theater shelving from Ikea:
image.png
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/fjaellbo-tv-storage-combination-black-s79191266/

I think it will go well with the mini-ITX PC I’m planning on building for HTPC with this case:
image.png
https://www.newegg.com/black-ssupd-meshlicious-mini-itx/p/2AM-030R-00006?Item=9SIAS0BE9S3413

❧ Edited by Mister Choi at 2021-06-04 17:08:33Jun 4 17:08
thread head

damn thats a lotta mesh. p cool lookin tho

The OJ wayβ„’

are millenials owning laserdiscs in 2020 the equivalent to boomers owning vinyl players in 1990

Shark Cat
Read more
Reply:
To reply to this thread, please join this community.
Pages: 1 | 2
1 person is reading this thread now.
← Thread List | ↑ Top