Home | Zones | Log in | Register

Encrypted Messengers: what’s your poison?

cryptoanarchy obvious snakeoil surveillance state

Nobody | Reply | Create New Thread New Thread
Page 1 of /1

Been using Signal and Matrix recently. Not a huge fan of Signal because of its reliance on a phone number as an identifier. Not a huge fan of Matrix because it’s slow and the big benefit comes from self-hosting which practically nobody does.

Also, desktop options for Matrix clients blow chunks - you can either run one in a web browser (which, again, you should self-host), run one in Electron (no thanks, Google spyware), or run one that doesn’t have E2E and session management (but then you’re not sending encrypted messages).

What do you prefer, if you use a secure messaging app?

Edited by MasterOfMagic at 2021-07-20 13:40:13Jul 20 13:40
Trying too hard

Is Tox chat good? Never used anything but this is a tag.

i only trust important messages to ham radio

ein cooler typ

i use telegram not because i think it’s secure but because they have a nice free API to abuse as a push message service

i like the idea of Matrix a lot, like a Modern IRC is what they were going for maybe. never used it tho

bird on skateboard

i have unironically considered adding federation support to thread zone but every time i think about it, it never seems worth it. i’m not opposed to letting people self-host some day, but currently it’s quite an ordeal to host it, lots of moving parts

bird on skateboard

United Federation of Zones

i'm a super criminal

the thread zone? no….. the thread UNIVERSE

bird on skateboard

Is Tox chat good? Never used anything but this is a tag.

I’ve never tried Tox. It’s on my list to try.

i use telegram not because i think it’s secure but because they have a nice free API to abuse as a push message service

Yeah, this would disqualify it for me to use for any purpose beyond notifications:

The servers of Telegram are distributed worldwide to decrease data load with five data centers in different regions, while the operational center is based in Dubai in the United Arab Emirates.

The UAE does not have the greatest record for respecting privacy, the safety of journalists, or human rights in general.

i like the idea of Matrix a lot, like a Modern IRC is what they were going for maybe. never used it tho

Matrix is pretty okay. It functions for text chat okay. The federation support is pretty good. The fact that you CAN run it standalone is always good. Getting voice and video working with a TURN server on my own homeserver took a couple of hours but it seems to work between my phone on 4G and a desktop on my local network.

There are two things I don’t like about Matrix: the non-mobile clients suck unless you want to run a web-based one and running your own homeserver instance takes a lot more resources than, say, and XMPP server. Dendrite probably helps with that; I’m running the reference Synapse server.

Edited by MasterOfMagic at 2021-07-21 12:19:58Jul 21 12:19
Trying too hard

signal is goated for talking to people you somewhat know

I use Signal with people I know IRL and who have my phone number. I think I have only verified one or two of them on there though, but even without that, it’s no worse than a regular SMS/MMS from a security standpoint.

The fact that it requires a phone number to use is a non-starter for Internet randos.

Trying too hard

The German national healthcare system has adopted Matrix as their standard for secure text, voice, and video messaging: https://matrix.org/blog/2021/07/21/germanys-national-healthcare-system-adopts-matrix

Edited by MasterOfMagic at 2021-07-21 14:22:09Jul 21 14:22
Trying too hard

I use Signal with people I know IRL and who have my phone number. I think I have only verified one or two of them on there though, but even without that, it’s no worse than a regular SMS/MMS from a security standpoint.

The fact that it requires a phone number to use is a non-starter for Internet randos.

isn’t it pretty easy to get phone numbers with google voice?

I don’t believe there’s a good way to get Google voice numbers in a privacy preserving way. Some SIP providers might work, and getting a throwaway Tracphone might work in a pinch, but then that’s a monthly expense that might not always be worth it.

Edited by MasterOfMagic at 2021-07-22 17:38:21Jul 22 17:38
Trying too hard

i only trust important messages to ham radio

can’t encrypt on the ham bands philo!

薔薇は美しく散る

the thread zone? no….. the thread UNIVERSE

Resident deity

I use signal for texting

v0.243.0

I use signal for texting

same

MoM did u see the android signal bug with imagep previews getting sent to incorrect contacts?

https://github.com/signalapp/Signal-Android/commit/83086a5a2b8cae3ac40dea75d8c9533457a31858

https://github.com/signalapp/Signal-Android/commit/b9657208fea1c7bcfb90b7400037a7858ba56516

Edited by mrtrip at 2021-07-26 14:58:28Jul 26 14:58

I had not seen that, but lol.

This is why I send all of my dickpics UPS. Luckily they charge flat rate by envelope size so I can always use the smallest one and save money.

Trying too hard
Reply:
To reply to this thread, please join this community.
Pages: 1
1 person is reading this thread now.
Thread List | ↑ Top