Home | Zones | Log in | Register

At some point I will be too powerful to stop

amateur eti girl arrogance booming echos corruption cosmic horror ctrl lies orbital mechanics power professional gamer

Nobody | Reply | Create New Thread New Thread
First PageFirst | Previous PagePrev | Page 11 of /11

Got a Ryzen 5 5600x in a restock drop

My F5 powers grow

nice im on the 5600 train toio

Best Buy cancelled my order for reasons that they have yet to explain to me.

My power of self-restraint at phone and chat reps grows.

Edited by MasterOfMagic at 2020-11-24 13:01:172020-11-24 13:01
Trying too hard

Best Buy cancelled my order for reasons that they have yet to explain to me.

My power of self-restraint at phone and chat reps grows.

If you have a reputation as a psycho, they treat you nicer on the phone. Source: MCX

薔薇は美しく散る

Ultimately, it’s probably better this way because it’s better value in the long run for me to build a new rig than try to run this processor in my B450 motherboard.

My current machine can play any game I want it to play at 1080p max settings running at 60 FPS minimum (except for RDR2 but that game is dogshit on older Zen processors), and my monitor is a 32” 1080p@60hz beast at the moment (no pixel density shaming plz, it looks fine to me on any font that isn’t skinny as shit). Realistically, without a new monitor, I’m not going to see any meaningful improvement with either a new GPU or CPU unless I care about ray-tracing (I don’t). Given that, it’s probably better value long term to either build a new rig in six months to a year (availability will be better and drivers for the GPU will be more stable) with a new monitor or grab a new monitor in six months and then build a new rig late 2021 or early 2022.

So next rig can be either a not-yet-announced-but-probably-in-the-works 3080 Super or RDNA3 with a nice 21:9 1440p@144hz monitor.

That doesn’t change the fact that I want this processor. It just means that it’s not the best value at this moment.

Edited by MasterOfMagic at 2020-11-24 22:24:252020-11-24 22:24
Trying too hard

Also my ex recently dropped $2k on a video card so she can run Elite Dangerous in VR.

Don’t YOU want to roam the stars?

edit: was no man’s sky, I can’t tell the difference between these games

Edited by TimeLady Victorious at 2020-11-25 12:23:512020-11-25 12:23
薔薇は美しく散る

I don’t need computer assistance to roam the stars.

Trying too hard

That said I’m looking to spend an absurd amount of STEMbux on a new gaming rig as soon as the financial worrying side of my brain is no longer holding my debit card hostage.

Trying too hard

ganbare

Resident deity

Setting up to livestream wing to wing development on a new Discord bot.

My powers of transparency grow.

Trying too hard

Made a giant pot of Japanese curry with a bunch of different root vegetables in it (carrots, parsnips, acorn squash) and pork and now the place smells amazing.

My powers of cooking grow.

Trying too hard

New sign to hang in my home office adequately describes current mood towards my wagie cagie:
57C42595-59CF-4108-94A4-9260EAA0F009.jpeg

Edited by MasterOfMagic at 2020-12-19 01:48:152020-12-19 01:48
Trying too hard

New sign to hang in my home office adequately describes current mood towards my wagie cagie:
57C42595-59CF-4108-94A4-9260EAA0F009.jpeg

Will wagie cagies ever come back, or will it all be mandatory Zoom calls from now on?

薔薇は美しく散る

The C class execs at my company are pushing really hard for the office to re-open because they’re all old and think that new ideas for our system come from in-person spontaneous drop in talks at whiteboards instead late nights at home over a keyboard with the right music and hallucinogens.

Edited by MasterOfMagic at 2020-12-19 18:52:50Dec 19 18:52
Trying too hard

The C class execs at my company are pushing really hard for the office to re-open because they’re all old and think that new ideas for our system come from in-person spontaneous drop in talks at whiteboards instead late nights at home over a keyboard with the right music and hallucinogens.

clearly they don’t get programmer culture

薔薇は美しく散る

bird on skateboard

Upper management sent out a culture survey the last two years and were shocked to find that an overwhelming majority of people either disagreed or strongly disagreed with the following statements:

• The company sets realistic deadlines informed by the people doing the work
  • The company provides all necessary equipment and training for me to complete my work
  • The company allows ample time for me to stay up to date in my areas of expertise
  • The goals of my team are clear
  • I know what is expected from me at an organizational level
  • I have a best friend at work

The response was to play musical chairs with middle management leaders, give bonuses only to upper management for the last two years, shuffle up the corporate structure, and assign us more training in both lean principles and scaled agile framework. They tried to tap me as a scrummaster but my functional manager screamed about the productivity loss.

In short:

Edited by MasterOfMagic at 2020-12-20 23:04:28Dec 20 23:04
Trying too hard

I survived 2020

My hardship tolerance powers grow.

Trying too hard

All of the new features I added have past validation - coming soon to a product near you.

My powers of delivery grow.

Trying too hard

I have consistently been winning games of Among Us as imposter using voice chat. I am undefeated as imposter over the last week and a half.

My powers of friendly deception grow.

Trying too hard

It’s getting close to that time

Trying too hard

can you carry me around in your pouch of darkness while we sow crystalline mayhem

Resident deity

can you carry me around in your pouch of darkness while we sow crystalline mayhem

When it’s time, you’ll be able to sow your own mayhem.

Edited by MasterOfMagic at 2021-02-08 05:04:33Feb 8 05:04
Trying too hard

My love’s FFXIV free company turned one year old today so I made a small amount of Japanese curry. Might have gone a bit overboard with the meat and mushrooms (about 5 lbs pre-cook weight for just the meat and mushrooms)

39A61CE2-7CA8-4EE1-902F-BAC5A6F795BE.jpeg

Brought her a bowl while they were running maps to celebrate:

4C6253F1-E745-4816-AB08-477633921A26.jpeg

Edited by MasterOfMagic at 2021-02-24 20:12:18Feb 24 20:12
Trying too hard

“small” amount

“here’s 5 lbs of curry”

薔薇は美しく散る

Just five pounds of meat and mushrooms. That’s an 8 quart Dutch oven, so that’s nearly two gallons of Japanese curry, which is at least 16 pounds of curry.

That said, I’m in the Midwest, so you’d have to look really hard to find a Dutch oven smaller than 8 quarts here.

Trying too hard

Just five pounds of meat and mushrooms. That’s an 8 quart Dutch oven, so that’s nearly two gallons of Japanese curry, which is at least 16 pounds of curry.

That said, I’m in the Midwest, so you’d have to look really hard to find a Dutch oven smaller than 8 quarts here.

so you’re going to be eating curry for the next week or two got it

薔薇は美しく散る

Sounds about right, unless I package some up for the freezer or give away some to friends.

Trying too hard

Ladies and gentlemen, we got ‘em:
EC959C4A-5B5B-40B9-AEB4-C52CDC5210DB.jpeg

Edited by MasterOfMagic at 2021-02-26 01:54:28Feb 26 01:54
Trying too hard

Processor came in yesterday but I’m waiting on some more parts for installation so I’ll do that Saturday.

My powers of patience grows.

Trying too hard

I avoided buying this to celebrate completion of a project.

596FD984-4272-4D9B-9520-E295C7FCC198.jpeg

My powers of delayed gratification grow.

Trying too hard

I saw that too lol

thread head

Reacted to the news that Microsoft is buying Discord by doing something productive - setting up a self-hosted Matrix Synapse server connected to Postgres and with TURN.

Self hosted, end-to-end encrypted messaging, voice, and video for the low low price of a VPS to reverse proxy and run a TURN/TLS server.

My powers of self-hosting grow.

Edited by MasterOfMagic at 2021-03-29 03:19:45Mar 29 03:19
Trying too hard

3f2.png

Resident deity

I will never forgive Microsoft for fucking up Skype to gratify the surveillance state: https://www.forbes.com/sites/ericjackson/2012/07/22/its-terrifying-and-sickening-that-microsoft-can-now-listen-in-on-all-my-skype-calls/

Edited by MasterOfMagic at 2021-03-30 14:28:48Mar 30 14:28
Trying too hard

yeah they really beefed skype

it’s insane how garbage skype became
wonder if discord will suffer the same fate

bird on skateboard

Imagine a future reality where Microsoft “refreshes” Teams to be based on Discord.

Edited by MasterOfMagic at 2021-03-31 12:48:59Mar 31 12:48
Trying too hard

honestly discord, for an electron app, is pretty good. back when slack was taking like 5GB of RAM discord was solid. but yeah fuck electron.

bird on skateboard

Remember when not everything was a React/Node/Chromium turducken?

Webapps are great but maybe a messenger that you might want to run in the background while you do other things shouldn’t be such a goddamn resource hog.

Edited by MasterOfMagic at 2021-04-02 00:21:32Apr 2 00:21
Trying too hard

Remember when not everything was a React/Node/Chromium turducken?

Webapps are great but maybe a messenger that you might want to run in the background while you do other things shouldn’t be such a goddamn resource hog.

agreed 100% 😭

bird on skateboard

i like discord because i can put in a song title in the search bar and find out that i already bothered my discord group with the same song two years ago and it might be gauche to repost it

Resident deity

i like discord because i can put in a song title in the search bar and find out that i already bothered my discord group with the same song two years ago and it might be gauche to repost it

First, it’s not like Discord is the first chat program that keeps a history where you can do that. It does continue the trend where you don’t own and can’t easily export your history.

Second, a repost after two years shouldn’t be seen as gauche, especially with your excellent taste in music.

Third, this is a fake third point and doesn’t really exist, but if we all try, we can pretend that it does.

Trying too hard

idk i disliked pidgin since everything was in text logs and it went to a crawl when i searched, and i was too lazy to do more for irc/aim than use pidgin

Resident deity
Reply:
To reply to this thread, please join this community.
Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
1 person is reading this thread now.
Thread List | ↑ Top